Romantic Cantlelon-Cantlon History

Title: Romantic Cantelon history, ca.912 A.D.--ca.1955Stmnt.Resp.: by Harold R. and Leon C. CantelonAuthors: Cantelon, Harold R. (Harold Ray) , 1895- (Main Author) Cantelon, Leon C. (Leon Clifford) , 1897- (Added Author)Notes: Microfilm made of typescript collection (ca.2000 leaves in 5 volumes); microfilm donated by Dennis Cantelon, Burlington, Ontario; typescript collection (paper copy) held by the Metropolitan Toronto Library.--------------Contents:v. 1. Early history, Normandy and Great Britain; Cantillon/ Cantelupe heraldry -- v. 2. Cantillons in Ireland (1160-1800); Cantillons in France -- v. 3. Children of John Cantillon and Mary Bible: William Cantelon (1775-1859) and descendants, John Cantelon (1778-1874) and descendants, Peter Cantelon (1786-1863) and descendants -- v. 4. Children of John Cantillon and Mary Bible (cont.): Peter Cantelon (1786-1863) and descendants -- v. 5. Children of John Cantillon and Mary Bible (cont.): Arthur Cantelon (1793-1877) and descendants.
Includes Cantelupe, Cantillon, Cantelion, Cantlon and other variant spellings.
Includes Bray, Churchill, Cook, Currie, Floody, Jamieson, Newman, Rogers, Wright and related families.
Four sons of John Cantillon of Kilcooly Parish, Tipperary County, Ireland immigrated at different times between 1831 and 1844 to Huron County and Peel County, Ontario. Three of these sons (William, Peter and Arthur) had large families and hundreds of descendants, so a separate record for each of these lines is provided. Descendants and relatives lived in Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and elsewhere. Some descendants immigrated to Michigan, Wisconsin and elsewhere in the United States. The early two volumes includes ancestry in Ireland, in England to 1066 A.D., and in France to about 912 A.D.Subjects: Cantelon Cantelupe Cantillon Cantelion Cantlon Bray Churchhill Cook Currie Floody Jamieson Newman Rogers WrightFormat: Manuscript (On Film) Language: English Publication: Toronto, Ont. : Preston Microfilming Services, 1984 Physical: 2 microfilm reels : ill., coats of arms, facsims., geneal. tables, maps, ports. ; 16 mm.Film Notes:Title: Romantic Cantelon history, ca.912 A.D.--ca.1955 Authors: Cantelon, Harold R. (Harold Ray) , 1895- (Main Author) Cantelon, Leon C. (Leon Clifford) , 1897- (Added Author)Note FilmVol 1-2 FHL US/CAN Film 1412596Vol 3-5 FHL US/CAN Film 1412597 -Title: Cantelupe family genealogical records and lineage, 1066 A.D.-1953 Stmnt.Resp.: [Carman Dennis Cantlon] Authors: Cantlon, Carmen Dennis (Main Author)Notes: Microfilm made of manuscript collection (116 leaves) donated by Dennis Carman Cantlon, Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
Includes Cantelu, Cantillon, Cantelon, Cantlon and other variant spellings.
Includes Carew, Hasting, Horton, Roumare, Tregoz and related families.The Cantelupe family of Wales, with ancestry in France and some ancestry in Germany. Includes descendants in Ireland and elsewhere. Also includes much ancestry and descendants within the nobility of Great Britain, France and elsewhere.Subjects: Roumare Tregoz Great Britain - Nobility France - Nobility Cantelupe Cantelu Cantillon Cantelon Cantlon Carew Hastings HortonFormat: Manuscript (On Film)Language: English Publication: Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987 Physical: on 1 microfilm reel : chiefly geneal. tables. ; 35 mm.Title: Cantelupe family genealogical records and lineage, 1066 A.D.-1953Authors: Cantlon, Carmen Dennis (Main Author)Note Location Film Cantelupe family genealogical records FHL BRITISH Filmand lineage, 1066 A.D.-1953 1441063 Item 33© 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved

Friday, December 14, 2007

The Irish surname Cantlon

Family Name History
The Irish surname Cantlon, which is a varieant of the more well-known Cantillon, is in fact of Norman French origin, being introduced to Ireland by the Anglo Normans during the thirteenth century. The name finds its sources in the French place name "de Cantelupe" or "Cauntelo" and was first recorded in Ireland as "de Cantelupe" or "DeCantelowe". The name is mainly associated with Co. Kerry, in the south western part of the country and has been on record there since the early part of the thirteenth century.

The Cantillons came to Ireland with William the Conqueror. Their ancestry can be traced through the Norman's back to the Danes. But like all the settlers of this time, they intermarried and settled into the Irish way of life. They built the first castle in Ballyheigue (not in the same place as the present one) and Thadhg Cantillon gave Ballyheigue (Baile Uí Thaidhg) it's name. 7.1.4 = like being raised into heaven ? ; we named it ; an inheritance from g’d ; St Thomas Cantiloupe, 1280s Cantilupe, St Thomas de ( c. 1218–82), also St Thomas of Hereford, Bp. of Hereford from 1275. He was Chancellor of University of Oxford in 1261 and again in 1273, and for a short time Chancellor of England in 1265. Royal Berkshire History: St. Thomas Cantilupe of Hereford =+= Lord William II Cantilupe, b: 1185 - Bowden, England =+= Catholic Encyclopedia = Thomas de Cantilupe = 5.6.7 St Patrick’s Day part three ; an inheritance problem a conflict in the bible ? who shot the bear shirt The Real History Behind The Templars Another nephew, Arnaud de Cantiloup, became archbishop of Bordeaux. ...... with the story of Joseph of Arimathea, who provided the tomb for Jesus. .. Berkshire History: Biographies: St. Thomas Cantilupe of Hereford ... At the time, apparently, of the removal of his remains from the tomb in the Lady Chapel to the shrine which had been provided for them in the north transept ... A book entitled 'The Life and Gests of Saint Thomas Cantilupe,"' said to be compiled from evidences at Rome, collected before his canonization, was published at Ghent in 1674. "No fewer than four hundred and twenty-five miracles," says Fuller, "are registered, reported to be wrought at his tomb. . . . Yea, it is recorded in his legend, that by his prayers were raised from death to life three-score several persons, one-and-twenty lepers healed, and three-and-twenty blind and dumb men to have received their sight and speech."The arms of Cantilupe-Gules, three leopards' heads jessant, with a fleur-de-lis issuing from the mouth, or- have since his canonization been assumed as those of the see of Hereford. Cantlon Ancestor search Canadian Genealogy Centre

The family first settled in England but later moved to Ireland where their principal seat was at Ballyheigue where the head of the family was known as "The Cantillon". Like so many of their neighbours they lost their estates, as a result of their loyalty to the Catholic faith and their supporting of the Catholic Confederation, and later their support of the Jacobile King James II. Indeed a Cantillon was Chaplin to Sarsfield's Regiment.

There has always been very strong ties between the Cantlon or Cantillon family of Ireland and France. Richard Cantillon (1675-1734), who was born at Ballyheigue, was called "the father of political economy" and was a noted Parisian banker. Napoleon left in his will 10,000 francs to Lt. Cantillon, while Col. Antoine Cantillon, President of the Council of War in Paris (1843), was created Baron de Ballyheigue by Louis Philippe.The Arms described below are those of the cantillon family of Ballyheigue, C. Kerry.

Blazon of Arms: Azure: A lion rampent or, between two arrows in pale of the second, points in base argent.
Translation: Azure (blue) symbolizes the planet Venus and denotes the qualities of Truth and Loyalty.
Crest: A dexter arm embowed proper, holding a dart or, feathered argent.
Motto: Fortis in bello.Translation: lucky in war.

Elizabeth advised her commanders that the Irish, "that rude and barbarous nation", be well treated; but she showed no remorse when force and bloodshed were deemed necessary In the sixteenth century the Cantillon lands were confiscated by Elizabeth I and granted to the Crosbies.
And eat up not one another’s property unjustly (in any illegal way e.g. stealing, robbing, deceiving, etc.), nor give bribery to the rulers ( judges before presenting your cases) that you may knowingly eat up a part of the property of others sinfully. SuraAl-Baqara : 188 ( 2:188 )
Dore Abbey / Thomas de Cantilupe / Cantlon name history / Cantilupe Family Genealogy / Greasley / Ballyheigue -Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / Hadrian'sWall / Sheltered Monk's Section of Church /PFC JOHN EDWARD CANTLON / Richard Cantillon, In 1905 the Cantilupe Society was founded to publish the episcopal registers of Hereford, of which Cantilupe's is the first in existence. Dore Abbey It was founded in 1147 by Lord Robert d'Ewyas and, in 1282, dedicated to the Holy Trinity and Saint Mary, by D'Ewyas' brother in law, Thomas Cantilupe, a Bishop of Hereford The abbey was dissolved in 1536. In the sixteenth century the Cantillon lands were confiscated by Elizabeth I and granted to the Crosbies. One of the Cantillon descendants who fled to France was recognised officially there as Baron de Ballyheigue ; A Grandchild's Heritage - The CANTILUPE Line
Thomas de Cantilupe was the next but one Bishop of Hereford. He had faults not uncommon in men who held high ecclesiastical office in his day, however he was a strenuous administrator of his see, and an unbending champion of its rights. For assaulting some of the episcopal tenants and raiding their cattle, Lord Clifford was condemned to walk barefoot through the cathedral to the high altar, and the Bishop himself applied the rod to his back. Bishop Cantilupe also wrung from the Welsh King Llewellyn some manors which he had seized, and Cantilupe;after a successful lawsuit against the Earl of Gloucester to determine the possession of a chase near the Forest of Malvern; dug the dyke which can still be traced on the crest of the Malvern Hills. Excommunicated by Archbishop of Canterbury John Peckham, he went to the papal court in Orvieto to plead his case with the Pope. He moved with the court to Montefiascone where, already ill, he died in 1282 before his case was fully resolved. His flesh was buried in the monastery of San Severo outside Orvieto and his heart and bones were brought back to England. His bones were placed in a shrine at Hereford Cathedral where they became a focus of a huge pilgrimage cult. Rome was urged to canonize him, and among the evidences of his saintliness which his admirers appealed to, in addition to the miracles of healing wrought at his shrine, were the facts that he never ceased to wear his hair-shirt ? , and would never allow even his sister to kiss him. The testimony was regarded as conclusive, and 40 years after his death, in 1320, the Bishop's name was added to the roll of saints. His arms were adopted for those of the See. can i have them back Pope ? In addition to the miser cords in the choir, there are also five miser cords contained in a row of "Judges Seats" It is unclear if these were used as miser cords, or if they are just ornamentation. Arnaud de Cantiloup, became archbishop of Bordeaux. ... with the story of Joseph of Arimathea, who provided the tomb for Jesus. Tombeau d'Arnaud de Canteloup, archevêque de Bordeaux à Bordeaux (33) [ Translate this page ] The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church CANTELOUP, Arnaud de Birth. (No date found), Canteloupe, Saint-Estéphe, archdiocese of Bordeaux, France. His father was the seigneur of Canteloup in Guyenne. Close relative ( nephew ? ) of Pope Clement V. His last name is also listed as Chanteloup, Frangier and Frigier and his first name as Arnaud III. L' Ordre du Temple - [ Translate this page ] Château Pape Clément Planted in 1300, the estate is the oldest planted vineyard in the region, when it was presented to Bertrand de Goth upon his appointment as archbishop of Bordeaux, by his brother, Berald. It received its name from Bertrand's papal name, Clement V ; on his election in 1306 he gave the estate to his successor as archbishop, Cardinal Arnaud de Canteloup. Bertrand, who would later move the papacy to Avignon near Châteauneuf-du-Pape, planted this original vineyard with red wine grapes. White wine grapes were planted across the river near the town of Lormont. The vineyard remained in the possession of archbishops of Bordeaux until the Revolution, when it was nationalised and sold as a bien national. The vineyard area consists of 32.5 hectares